Since 2018, USAID Economic Resilience Activity (ERA) has focused its activities on eastern Ukraine. In 2022, it expanded its geography of cooperation to other regions due to Russia’s full-scale invasion and occupation of part of Ukraine. In 2023, given the military and political circumstances and challenges, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) changed ERA’s priorities.
ERA is one of the implementers of the U.S. Government’s Interagency Agriculture Resilience Initiative – Ukraine (AGRI – Ukraine), which aims to support Ukrainian agricultural production and exports and help address the global food crisis exacerbated by Russia’s brutal war against Ukraine. USAID supports the Government of Ukraine, including working with the State Agency for Restoration and Development of Infrastructure of Ukraine (SARDI) and the State Customs Service, through ERA, to modernize border crossing points to improve grain trade and exports, passenger traffic, and perceptions of Ukraine. ERA is also implementing the Economic Stability and Recovery Initiative (ESRI), which focuses on job retention and creation and assists small and medium-sized enterprises.
USAID ERA prioritizes work on AGRI and rehabilitating EU-facing border crossing points (BCPs). The AGRI component is extending its technical assistance to Ukrainian Agri-traders and logistics companies supporting them in increasing capacity and potential of grain export logistics. The BCP component includes complex construction management and procurement of equipment and service for BCPs to become more efficient in processing big cargos of grain and other commodities through the border.
About the job
The Finance Officer will be pivotal in supporting financial management and compliance within the USAID ERA project. This position will maintain accurate financial records, prepare financial reports, and ensure adherence to USAID regulations and guidelines. The Finance Officer will collaborate with the finance team to allocate and utilize resources for various projects and programs. The Finance Officer is based in Kyiv or Lviv and reports to the Finance Manager /Senior Finance and Compliance Manager.
- Ensures that accounting policies and practices are carried out in accordance with GAAP standards and local accounting standards; project internal controls are established and implemented by DAI policies, USAID rules/regulations, and the contract terms.
- Monitors and reports on partner/vendor payment schedules and obligations.
- Assists in preparing information for any contractual financial reporting requirements (if applicable);
- Conducts daily reviews of backup documentation to ensure completeness, accuracy, and full compliance with DAI’s regulations.
- Initiates wire requests for field project implementation.
- Verifies vendor invoices for accuracy.
- Verifies the accuracy of expenses and project accounting codes.
- Audits travel requests and expense reports for accuracy and compliance.
- Prepares and submits monthly financial reports for review to the Finance Manager and Senior Finance and Compliance Manager.
- Responsible for recording and assigning costs based on approved budget in the field accounting system (vFER);
- Uses field accounting system (vFER), cloud software for backup documentation, and DAI’s operations system (TAMIS), etc., regularly.
- Supports preparation of internal and external audits.
- Analyzes and reconciles project inventory regularly, ensuring that the value/purchase price of project assets reflected in the inventory register agrees with the total shown in the cumulative non-expendable account balanc
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of invoices, advances and reimbursements, checks, and wire transfer payments.
- Performs monthly bank reconciliations and routinely monitors bank account balances.
- Compiles backup documentation for all project-related transactions and ensures completeness and appropriate review and approvals are documented; scans and uploads the backup documents in DAI archiving systems.
- Maintains files on grant/ procurement/subcontractor documents and modifications as applicable.
- Responsible for maintaining file management systems for soft and hard copy documentation.
- Ensures taxes are paid, tracked, recorded, and reported to Ukraine tax authorities and USAID.
- A. Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or equivalent.
- 4+ years of relevant experience and progressive responsibility in finance and accounting, office administration, and project operations at the mid-level of an organization
- Experience with enterprise accounting software and Microsoft Office suite
- Demonstrated knowledge of internal controls and audit processes (e.g., procurement, local subcontract agreements, etc.)
- Demonstrated report writing skills in English is required.
Contract length: 12-month employment agreement with a possibility of extension.
Benefits: all benefits envisaged by the Labor Code of Ukraine, corporate medical insurance for employees and immediate family members.
Start date: November 2023
All applicants must send a cover letter and updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: November 22, 2023.
For further information about DAI GLOBAL LLC, please consult our website era-ukraine.org.ua.