USAID Economic Resilience Activity (ERA) helps communities, businesses and government agencies identify paths to a sustainable and successful future of the eastern regions as part of the country’s economy.
USAID ERA cooperates with:
- communities and regions to enhance their capacity and opportunities for development and economic transformation.
- interested partners to ensure confidence in the future of the economy of Eastern Ukraine.
A Model Cities Study commissioned by ERA provides bright examples of the successful transformation of post-industrial cities in the USA, Canada and Europe. Based on the study’s findings and recommendations, the ERA Transformation Team are focusing on four areas to transform communities and regions in eastern Ukraine:
- Driving vision and identifying long-term development prospects
- Supporting educational institutions, promoting innovations as a basis for increasing business efficiency
- Attracting infrastructure investments for the implementation of strategic plans and economic transformation
- Increasing the attractiveness (beautification) of cities based on effective spatial planning.
- Kramatorsk, Bakhmut, Pokrovsk, Dobropillia, Mariupol (Donetsk Oblast)
- Bilovodsk and Novopskov consolidated communities, Starobilsk (Luhansk Oblast)
- Berdiansk, Melitopol (Zaporizhzhia Oblast)
- Henichesk (Kherson Oblast)
- Platform for Sustainable Development of Seven Coal cities in Donetsk Oblast:
- Dobropillia, Myrnohrad, Novohrodivka, Pokrovsk, Selydove, Toretsk, Vuhledar
- Strategic city development
- Formation of a new vision and image of the region
- Promoting the transformation of coal cities
- Strategy of SMART-specialization of Donetsk and Luhansk regions
- Transformation Strategy for sustainable development of seven coal cities in Donetsk Oblast
- Enhancing community capacity for partnership, business development and resource mobilization (Public-Private Partnership, Corporate Social Responsibility)
- Implementation of infrastructure projects
- Development of the the Sea of Azov region tourist brand (link to the tourism page)
- Engagement of the community, youth and students in the transformation process
- Implementation of the model of successful cities of the USA, Canada and Europe in the region.
Activities and Results:
- Economic development strategies:
- Luhansk Oblast
- Mariupol 2030 (in the process of development)
- Transformation Strategy for Sustainable Development of Seven Coal Cities in Donetsk Oblast (in the process of development)
Forums and conferences
- I Conference for Partner Cities and Consolidated Communities, Kramatorsk
- Youth Forum “Every Tomorrow Starts Today”, Mariupol
- First Forum of Luhansk Regional Coalition “From a Common Vision to Economic Growth”, Sievierodonetsk
- Mariupol Coalition Forum 2020, Mariupol
- ІІ Conference for Partner Cities and United Communities, Kramatorsk
- Local Development Forum “Mariupol 2030: Strategy of Opportunities” (in cooperation with USAID DG East)
Trainings and workshops
- Trainings on strategic development;
- “Economic Diversification, Potential, Strategies and Instruments for Coal Cities in Donetsk Oblast”
- Training series “Project Management: Grant projects preparation”;
- Online training “How to prepare a successful application to the State Regional Development Fund”
- Webinar “Public-Private Partnership and Corporate Social Responsibility – Opportunities for Cooperation with the Private Sector for Community Development”
- A series of training activities to increase the capacity of Mariupol Center for Support and Development of Small and Medium Business.