Since 2018, USAID Economic Resilience Activity (ERA) has focused its activities on eastern Ukraine. In 2022, it expanded its geography of cooperation to other regions due to Russia’s full-scale invasion and occupation of part of Ukraine. In 2023, given the military and political circumstances and challenges, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) changed ERA’s priorities.
ERA is one of the implementers of the U.S. Government’s Interagency Agriculture Resilience Initiative – Ukraine (AGRI – Ukraine), which aims to support Ukrainian agricultural production and exports and help address the global food crisis exacerbated by Russia’s brutal war against Ukraine. USAID supports the Government of Ukraine, including working with the State Agency for Restoration and Development of Infrastructure of Ukraine (SARDI) and the State Customs Service, through ERA, to modernize border crossing points to improve grain trade and exports, passenger traffic, and perceptions of Ukraine. ERA is also implementing the Economic Stability and Recovery Initiative (ESRI), which focuses on job retention and creation and assists small and medium-sized enterprises.
USAID ERA prioritizes work on AGRI and rehabilitating EU-facing border crossing points (BCPs). The AGRI component is extending its technical assistance to Ukrainian Agri-traders and logistics companies supporting them in increasing capacity and potential of grain export logistics. The BCP component includes complex construction management and procurement of equipment and service for BCPs to become more efficient in processing big cargos of grain and other commodities through the border.
About the job
The Road Resurfacing and Maintenance Engineer is responsible for generally supporting the BCP Infrastructure Team in the sector of road construction and maintenance, as well as cooperating with the Procurement and M&E Teams to ensure the performance of program-level road resurfacing projects. The Road Resurfacing and Maintenance Engineer is expected to coordinate the work of subcontractors, oversee construction supplies cost estimates, and conduct periodic site visits. Finally, s/he will work closely with the Senior Manager for BCP Infrastructure, supporting them in all construction-related matters on a day-to-day basis. The Road Resurfacing and Maintenance Engineer can be located in Lviv or Kyiv and reports to the Senior Manager for BCP Infrastructure.
Road Resurfacing Engineer Tasks:
- Review, verify, and prepare program-level road construction schedules.
- Supervision of construction subcontractors and site supervision subcontractors for compliance with subcontract requirements.
- Conduct site visits and supervise site visit meetings.
- Monitor road resurfacing progress and support road resurfacing schedule updates as necessary.
- Periodic site visits to verify quality control processes and results at road resurfacing
- General support for ERA’s BCP-related tasks.
- Other duties as assigned by the BCP Director and Senior Manager for BCP Infrastructure.
- Prepare accurate and timely reports and other project documentation as required; maintain project files.
- Keep respective activity records in the DAI corporate system (TAMIS).
- Generate progress reports and other project information as required.
- Oversee the monthly, weekly, and daily reporting of subcontractors and direct improvements as required by the BCP Director and Senior Manager for BCP Infrastructure as related to cost, schedule, and other contract requirements.
- Support data collection during the implementation of the technical tasks;
- Monitor the implementation of activities according to the ERA M&E plan;
- Provide information and data to the M&E team in a required format.
Procurement: in coordination with the Procurement Team:
- Prepare and review cost estimates for design, road resurfacing, and maintenance.
- Prepare and review Bills of Quantity and other design documentation for accurate processes that deliver requisitions in a timely way.
- MA/BA in Road Construction, Civil Engineering, Infrastructure Engineering, or a related field.
- Professional experience with design review, construction supervision, and compliance verification experience for road resurfacing and maintenance.
- Professional experience in preparing technical requirements and specifications for road resurfacing and maintenance.
- A minimum of ten years of general engineering and construction professional experience is required, with at least five years of specific experience in road construction and technical supervision in road resurfacing.
- Technical supervision certification is an advantage.
- Fluent English and Ukrainian is required.
- Experience with international donor-funded projects is preferred.
Contract length: 12-month employment agreement with a possibility of extension.
Benefits: all benefits envisaged by the Labor Code of Ukraine, corporate medical insurance for employees and immediate family members.
Start date: October 2023
All applicants must send a cover letter and updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English to email@example.com
Closing date for applications: October 6, 2023.
For further information about DAI GLOBAL LLC, please consult our website era-ukraine.org.ua.